The Mobile States consortium invites expressions of interest from artists across the performing arts, for works to tour in 2014.
Mobile States is a national consortium of Australia’s major contemporary performing arts spaces who are committed to presenting the best of Australia’s contemporary performance. Their focus is on showcasing the work of artists who investigate, research and experiment with ideas and form.
The initiative was established to provide opportunities for audiences to engage with ideas and creative practices from elsewhere and encouraging national dialogue and debate about performance and culture.
Mobile States tours can take many forms and the number, structure, length and configuration of tours is flexible and contingent on applications received.
Goals of Mobile States
- To profile independent artists or small companies on a national scale
- Audience development for contemporary work
- Create cultural debate and dialogue about performance
- To create space for individual practitioners to gauge their own artistic development
- To encourage dialogue between peer artists and companies leading to possible collaboration & a national perspective
- Maturation of the work, which leads to further opportunities.
Curatorial principles and selection criteria
Mobile States has a particular interest in those artists concerned with experimentation, research and the investigation of ideas and form. We are interested in innovative works
created by small scale or project-based companies.
Small to medium scale works will be considered up to a touring party of 10. We also seek proposals for durational works, short works, performance installations, live art events and
Works are selected by the Mobile States’ presenter members. The selection criteria give priority to works that:
- Are conceptually, formally or technologically rigorous and ambitious;
- Contribute to cultural developments/debate in a wide Australian/International context;
- Make attempts to push their art form forward through experimentation;
- Are able to adapt to fit a variety of spaces with varying technological and spatial capabilities;
- Are able to articulate an interesting relationship between form and content.
To be eligible for consideration, the productions must be new Australian works which have premiered in a professional production, or had a substantial development, including a showing, for which video documentation is available.
How to apply
To apply for Mobile States touring in 2014 you will need to download the information pack and application cover sheet from this website and submit your proposal by the closing date of Friday January 25th 2013 6pm (EST).
visit http://performinglines.org.au/about-us/initiatives/mobile-states/ for more details.
22 November – 25 January 2013
- Until 6pm