- This event has passed.
Paid Role: Musical Director
Tue March 3 - Tue March 31
On The Wing Theatre Co. is seeking a talented musician/conductor/composer to help us bring to life a BRAND NEW children’s musical; ‘The Urapunga Frog’!
Based on the popular children’s album of the same name, with songs by the Territory’s own local legend, Ted Egan, this musical follows a group of interstate kids and their local hosts, as they adventure through the Australian Outback, learning from each other’s cultures along the way. It also features renowned country musician Warren H. Williams, playing ‘Ntjalka’.
With a main cast of 12 talented local kids aged between 8 & 16, dance ensemble, and a community youth choir made up of children from Alice Springs and its surrounding communities, we endeavour to make this a production that engages as many young people from around Alice Springs as possible, as well as schools and communities around Australia in the future.
Beyond the expected musical expertise, the music director must have strong communication and organisational skills, and be able to work collaboratively with the show’s Director, cast and session musicians.
The Musical Director is responsible for working with the Director in preparing the theatre production for public performance, including casting, rehearsing the vocalists and orchestra, and conducting (and sometimes selecting) the orchestra.
The Musical Director will work with the cast in partnership with the Director and Choir Master, rehearsing the cast through songs, and leading singing with both the main cast and choir when the two come together.
Typical responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Auditioning the singers and making casting recommendations to the director
- Scheduling music rehearsals in collaboration with the director, choir master, choreographer and stage manager
- Helping cast members learn their music
- Leading music rehearsals for principals and choir
- Serving as conductor – or, in consultation with the producer and director, hiring a conductor
- In consultation with the producer and director, selecting session musicians for recording of musical backing tracks
- Working with the sound designer when microphones will be used
- Attending production meetings and rehearsals, as needed
- Working with the musicians union, if applicable.
- Valid Ochre Card
- Current Police Check
Rehearsal and performance period will take place within school term time. Current forecast is for Term 4 2020, or Term 1, 2021, TBC.
Hours: ~10-12 per week
Salary of based $10,000 (inc. super) based on 12 week period of studio recording, rehearsal and live performance.
To apply, or find out more, please email a cover letter and current CV to Daniel Milne – email@example.com