Art Centre Studio Coordinator
There isn’t a more exciting and rewarding job in the world than working for art centres. There isn’t a job like it. One moment one is working with galleries negotiating prestigious opportunities or discussing pricing or marketing. The next moment you are getting your hands dirty mixing paint and supporting artists in their studio. Art centres operate as a studio for local artists, but also as a hub endeavoring to foster local Aboriginal culture and bring the community together. Working to an Aboriginal board in community is fantastic, and the roles of art centres goes well beyond that of a studio, you are working with community Elders every day. Art centres are the only places of real jobs in most communities. To Aboriginal people, they are the most important places in community and respected as such.
Papulankutja (Blackstone) is a remote Aboriginal Community, located at the foothills of the Blackstone Ranges within the Ngaanyatjarra Lands. It is about 330 kms of Uluru, 900 kms west of Alice Springs, 1575 kms north east of Perth and 205kms west of Warburton. The name Papulankutja comes from the Ngaanyatjarra word for ‘stare without recognising each other’ and is associated with the Tjukurrpa story of two magical ancestral goanna men who didn’t recognise each other when they reached the eastern end of the Blackstone Range (Wirtapi Wara – Long Black).
Reporting to: Papulankutja Art Centre Manager
As studio coordinator, you will:
1. Work with the Manager to facilitate quality art production and coordinate bodies of work and
individual works for consignment and exhibition.
2. Support the artistic and professional development of artists.
3. Provide artists with social support when required such as driving them to and from home or
outstations if required.
4. Work closely with Indigenous art workers, mentoring and training them in all aspects of the
day-to-day requirements of the Art Centre and supporting their careers.
5. Coordinate art workers to ensure the studio is kept an organised, well-stocked, clean and safe
space for artists to workin.
6. Deliver customer service and sales to visitors at the Art Centre, on-site and on-line, as well
as coordinate the freight and packaging of artworks for exhibition, consignment and online sales.
7. Ensure the supply and maintenance of art materials and ensure artists and art workers use
materials to the highest professional standards.
8. Photograph art works to the highest possible standards and catalogue artworks using the art
centres SAM database in conjunction with the art workers.
9. Update the artists stories and biographies/cvs on the SAM database and website as required and
maintain accurate records of the art centres membership.
10. Provide administration support to the Manager with regards to the general business and
day-to-day operation of the art centre as well as marketing and project management as instructed by
the Art Centre Manager.
11. Respect and encourage maintenance of Indigenous language culture and tradition.
12. Assist with events such as bush trips, on-site exhibitions and art fairs.
13. You may also be required to travel to meetings and events regionally and interstate supporting
artists to attend industry events.
14. Participate in professional development as required by the Art Centre.
Please note this position is for 12 months with potential to extend dependent on funding.
Go to www.desart.com.au to download the full job description and selection criteria.
To apply please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org