- This event has passed.
Visual Arts Facilitator Barkly Regional Arts
December 2, 2021 @ 9:00 am - December 16, 2021 @ 9:00 am
Barkly Regional Arts are hiring!
Title: Visual Arts Facilitator
Employment type: Full time, 38 hours per week Visual Arts Manager
Contract duration: 3 months
Based in Tennant Creek, Barkly Regional Arts seeks to promote visual arts, music and media in the region and support the continued preservation, presentation and creative development of the diverse cultures and language groups located here.
The Visual Arts Program supports three remote studios staffed by local Indigenous art workers, as well as other communities and homelands on request. Artists are provided with materials, artistic and professional development, marketing and sales support, and opportunities to travel to art fairs and events. The Visual Arts team also create opportunities for the artists of the Barkly to collaborate with other stakeholders in the
region to promote community cohesion and civic pride through the arts.
The Visual Arts Facilitator supports production, documentation, and sales of artworks by the Artists of the Barkly collective; a group of
Indigenous artists working from four Barkly Arts facilitated studios in Tennant Creek and remote communities. The role has exposure to a wide range of activities within the Barkly Regional Arts Visual Arts Team.
The visual arts facilitator will assist the Visual Arts Manager in the day-to-day operations of the art centre by:
• Ensure artworks are appropriately documented by collecting stories, cataloguing and photographing works to a high standard for entry into the SAM database.
• Support artistic practice by preparing art materials, making lunches, providing transport and contributing to a positive working environment.
• Ensuring works and materials are stored properly and clearly labelled.
• Assisting in keeping the studio and storeroom clean and tidy.
• Support the manager in the virtual and physical presentation of artworks by assisting with gallery installations and managing the Artists of the Barkly website.
• Assisting with the management of the online site, including keeping track of online sales and preparing works for shipping.
• Assisting in preparing for major events and projects including Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair and Desert Mob.
• Assisting in delivering Barkly Arts events such as the Desert Harmony Festival.
• Attending Monday meetings with Visual Arts (VA) staff and artists.
• Shopping for and preparing lunches for the artists Monday to Friday (when available).
The visual arts facilitator will assist the Outreach Coordinator in delivering the visual arts program to the remote Indigenous communities of Wutunugurra, Canteen Creek, Elliott and Mungkarta by:
• Preparing supplies for remote communities; stretching and priming canvases, mixing paint, distributing paint into small containers,
• Traveling to remote communities with the Outreach Coordinator on a weekly basis,
• Supporting art workers and artists in remote communities by contributing to a joyful and peaceful environment.
• Supporting the delivery of art worker/ artist professional development programs.
To be successful in this role you will have a positive and flexible outlook with an interest in art and art making. You are relationship focused and are able to build rapport with a diverse range of people, including those who may be dealing with difficult circumstances in their lives. Remote areas can include hot weather, and other challenging conditions, to which you will bring a sense of humour and a can-do attitude.
Remuneration and benefits
• $55,000 – $60,000 commensurate with experience + superannuation
• Time in lieu for hours worked above stated 38hours per week
• Salary sacrifice
• Vehicle for professional and limited private use
• Share house accommodation is provided if desired, includes a lockable bedroom with shared communal areas.
For more information about this position contact Barkly Regional Arts on 08 89622799
Or head to the Desart website https://desart.com.au/job-opportunities/ to download the full job description and selection criteria. Applicants must respond to each of the selection criteria for their application to be accepted. Applications close 9:00am 16/12/2021